Thursday, January 28, 2010

Toddler Friendly Batik

The twins have been under the weather, way under the weather so I have had to get creative while coming up with cute little crafts for us to make until we can all get out of the house!
In school I made a wax batik and we recently came across it while moving boxes around and I thought it would be neat to try with the kids but not with real wax-so I scoured the web until I found a "glue batik" and we used some good old Elmer's glue, material and paint to create these cool kid friendly batiks!
First we had to "decorate" our material with glue. We used the blue Elmer's gel glue because it comes out much slower than regular glue and you can draw with it better. I helped them write their names and then they went wild with squiggles, dots and lines.
Connor
Braden
We let these sit and dry over night so that we would be sure that the glue was completely dry.


Next was the painting part. I watered down some paint so that it was more "spreadable" (aka runny) for them and they could achieve that tye dye look without really tye dyeing.
We once again let these completely dry (not over night but it took a few hours)

Then I soaked them in WARM/HOT water and took an old baby tooth brush I use for crafting to them to get the paint to flake off of the spots where they had drawn on the material with glue.
After wringing them out I tossed them in the dryer and as the boys would say "tah-dah!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are cool. I can't wait to see them and do their pillows for them.

mjriley said...

I hit the wrong thing.