Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cinnamon Valentine Heart Garland

I learned something new this week: cinnamon in mass quantities gives me a crippling migraine. Good to know. This will not be a repeat project but at least we did it one.
I'm talking about cinnamon dough (equal parts cinnamon and applesauce) in this particular case we made cinnamon dough hearts and strung them as garland for Valentines Day.

Braden cutting out his hearts
Connor cutting out his Valentine hearts
Many hearts on the racks drying after being hole punched with a straw to be able to string them on a ribbon after they completely dry
Our finished heart garland
*Recipe:
1/2 cup of applesauce
1/2 cup off cinnamon
Stir until mixed, then form into a ball by hand
Roll it out with a rolling pin to about 1/8th of an inch thick in between two sheets of wax paper
Cut with cookie cutters or free hand
Use a straw to punch holes if desired
Allow to try for at least 24 hours

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Where is the recipe??? You should post the recipe & a picture to the group's message board so we can all make it at home. :)

ShellyDee said...

I will! : )

mjriley said...

They look cute, now do you have to coat them with anything to protect them or just leave them be?
I would like to do something like that myself, but if it gave you a wicked headache....I don't know if I want to put myself through that.

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

So cute! What a fun project for the kids to help with. Thanks for sharing!
Linda